Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

I've been dwelling in John 10 lately and realizing how true it is that there are different voices talking to me all the time. I'm also realizing how often I listen to the wrong ones.

In this passage Jesus explains, twice, that there are things that can get to us. Some of those things have no claim on us; but, like a thief, they hop the fence in hopes of nabbing a few sheep. There is also a shepherd who does have a claim on us and who desires to feed us and keep us safe.

Within the passage, Jesus says that the sheep know the shepherd's voice and will follow only him, and not any of the others who have come to steal and destroy. But my opinion...my experience is that this is a best case scenario; the way things ought to be.

Those times in my life when I feel that my peace and joy and rest and patience and goodness and self-control have been stolen, it is because I have followed the words of a thief and destroyer; not my shepherd's. "You need more, you need better, he's holding out on you, it's not that big of a deal." These are the words of one who is not my shepherd.

Conversely, those times in life when I'm living abundantly, which interestingly enough seems to be the most simply, it's when I've been heeding the voice of my shepherd. He says things like, "you are my beloved, my child whom I died for because of my love for you."

Whose voice has been loudest in your life lately?

No comments: