Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Confidence

John's first letter says, "And now, little children, abide in him so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming."

I have a dog named CC (for Cookies and Cream). She is a true scavenger and has a bad habit of getting into the trash or nabbing food left on the counter. Whenever she does this and I come from the other part of the house, or come in the house after being gone, she lowers her head and won't make eye contact. She slinks around me and tries to hide somewhere...even before I know she's done anything.

However, when I enter the room or come home and no such food thievery has occured, she runs to me with her tail wagging and wants to me to talk to her and pet her. I thought of this as I read the passage above. There is joy in being able to run up to Jesus, anxious for his voice and love; confidently approaching him when he comes.

I suppose the writer is talking about Christ's return, but I think it applies to each time Jesus "shows up." That could be prayer, worship, whenever. Will these be times where I confidently interact with him, or will I slink away?

1 comment:

joe said...

Good word Mehner.