Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Old is Good

Luke 4 & 5.

Throughout these two chapters, Jesus is revealing who he is through acts and words of power and authority. Yet those in the synagogue of his hometown, and the Pharisees throughout these two chapters can only think in terms of social constructs and rules.

Whose son is this - Joseph's, right? Who can offer forgiveness of sins? Why do you dine with sinners? Why don't your disciples fast?

At the end of it, Jesus says, "And no one after drinking old wine desires new for he says, 'The old is good.'" I wonder where God is revealing himself in power and authority in and around my life, and I might be missing it because it disrupts something old that I think is good...something in my life that I really like or on which I want to rely.

No comments: