Monday, July 21, 2008

The Person of Prayer

Luke 11

When asked by his disciples to teach them to pray, Jesus gives them what we refer to as the Lord's Prayer. However, he continues with a statement about asking and receiving, knocking and the door being opened. I guess I never noticed that the end of this section has something specific that the asker will receive; "...how much more will your Father in Heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask."

In a section on prayer, Jesus says, "Ask for the Holy Spirit." This has been my experience. One year I determined as a New Year's resolution that I would be more of a person of prayer. Over the next year or two, I encountered the Holy Spirit's presence in my life. It's as if God took my resolution as a prayer and said, "Okay, if you want to be more of a person of prayer, let me introduce you to THE Person of Prayer."

No comments: