Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Listening, Obedience and Our Agendas

My small group is studying John's Gospel, and we are nearing the end. As Judas and the soldiers come for Jesus, there is an interesting exchange. Jesus asks them, "Who have you come for?" They reply, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus says, "I am he," and the men all back up and fall down.

Later, when they begin to move toward Jesus, Peter draws his sword and cuts off the ear of one of the guards. Jesus, mending the man's ear, tells Peter to put away his sword for "shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" Not long after this exchange, Peter - who seemed so ready to take on the soldiers in a fight - denies even knowing Jesus three times; once to a little girl.

Two things are happening here. First, Peter's agenda FOR Jesus has not gone away. Earlier when Jesus had spoken about being shamed and killed Peter had told him that this could not be for the anointed one. Jesus had responded, "Get behind me Satan. You have the things of the world on your mind and not the things of heaven." Peter's agenda for Jesus was to WIN; win as he (Peter) could fathom winning. Peter, bolstered by the sight of the soldiers falling backward at Jesus' mere words, is ready to bring about this agenda with the sword. Second, once Peter understands that winning looks a lot like losing - being shamed and killed - he really isn't up for Jesus' agenda. And so...he denies it.

I find this is so applicable to life. Even after a long journey with Christ, I am so ready to draw my sword at the first sight of MY agenda not being fulfilled. In other words, I am so ready to try to resume control when circumstances make it clear that God may not be on my agenda FOR Him. Where are you drawing the sword of control?

No comments: