Wednesday, February 04, 2009

What Is It?

In my reading, I've followed the Israelites into the wilderness; and the grumbling has begun. I just read the account of the manna - bread from heaven. Two things struck me about this episode.

First, the Israelites got what they were looking for...food. But it didn't look anything like what they expected. So much so that they called it "manna" which means "what is it." Second, many of them weren't happy with the amount they were given, even though it was always enough. Whether it was the first recorded leftover, or hunting around for more "what is it" on a day of rest, hoarding of one kind or another had set in.

So I'm wondering, where are we receiving blessings from God that are sufficient for our needs, but we don't recognize it, or we are trying to hoard it?

No comments: