Thursday, February 05, 2009

Testing or Teasing

As a parent, there are times I've put obstacles in the way of my kids, or put them into difficult situations in order for them to learn how to overcome; or perhaps to teach them that they can trust me. A simple example is lifting one of them out of the pool where they were comfortably bobbing up and down, and putting them on the side of the pool only to say "jump to me."

Now, I suppose to some people this could be construed as "teasing" a kid, but I think it is testing. There are subtle differences and not so subtle differences. Most notably, teasing is an attempt to tear another down, while testing is an attempt to help the other person grow and be strengthened.

In Exodus 17, the Israelites move on to a place called Rephidim "according to the commandment of the Lord." The next line tells us, "but there was no water for the people to drink." Isn't that interesting that God would lead his people to a place where there is no water and they began to thirst. He lifted them right up out of the pool so they might jump to him.

Of course HE'S there for them with water in order to increase their trust in him. This reminds me of when Jesus commands the disciples to get in the boat late in the evening and cross to the other side of the lake, only to have the boat and his disciples end up in a massive struggle against wind and waves.

For those who think that if we are struggling, we must somehow be outside the will of God, I would think again.

No comments: